Publications » Vol. 19: Trinity House of Deptford: Transactions, 1609-35
Edited by G. G. HARRIS
Letters patent granted to the Trinity House of Deptford in the sixteenth century conferred responsibility for the superintendence of pilotage in the Thames and the conservation of the river; beaconage, buoyage and lighthouses; licensing of indigent seamen and their wives and widows to beg and the maintenance of an almshouse in Deptford; authorising watermen for the river; arbitration in maritime disputes; provision of ordinance to merchant ships for self-defence; advice on the construction of the king’s ships and sea defence. These and other maritime topics form the subject matter in this volume.
213pp volume 19, 1983 LIST PRICE: £20.00